A whopping 1,367 DUI or alcohol-related arrests were made over the course of three weekends at the start of the semester at Arizona State University (ASU), reports the Phoenix New Times. The alcohol task force netted 371 arrests the weekend before classes started, 486 arrests the first weekend of classes, and 510 more the second weekend. While not every arrest is confirmed to be an ASU student, it's likely a safe assumption to make that many of them were.
With the aid of seven other police departments, the task force also racked up over 300 arrests for actual DUIs and 174 warrant arrests over the three weekends. Here's a breakdown of some of those numbers:
- Grand total of 1367 arrests
- 381 arrests for minors in consumption of alcohol
- 125 arrests for minors in possession of alcohol
- 309 DUI arrests
- 174 warrant arrests
Keeping ASU's example in mind, here are some tips to avoid getting busted for a DUI-related arrest in Arizona:
- Don't drink & drive. If you plan to go to a party, or just go out drinking, don't plan on driving. Make sure you lock down a designated driver, and even when you do, be cautious and ensure that it's someone you trust. Otherwise, call a cab, take public transportation, or sleep on a friend's couch if you need to.
- Don't drink if you're underage. The legal drinking age in the state is 21. Your penalty could be even more severe if you are underage, caught drinking, and arrested for a DUI-related charge. Arizona has a zero tolerance policy for underage drunk driving, and for minors the legal BAC level is 0.00%
- Don't serve to underage people. Even if you aren't drinking and/or a drinking driver, you could still be arrested if you serve alcohol to underage people. If you are hosting a party or working at a party in Arizona, you could be liable if you serve alcohol to someone who you know is underage and a driver.
- Don't have loud parties. According to Huffington Post, the police responded to 129 calls about loud parties over the course of those three weekends near ASU. If the police show up to a party, even due to a noise complaint, you could arrested if there is probable cause for a crime, such as being underage and drinking, or underage and in possession of alcohol.
- Don't drink, period. The only really foolproof way of ensuring that you don't get arrested for a DUI-related offense or a DUI is to not drink, period.
Find alternate ways to have fun and remember to always be safe. If you find yourself dealing with a DUI-related arrest, speak to a local, experienced attorney today.
- DUI Arrests (FindLaw)
- The Crackdown on Underage Drinking at ASU (FindLaw's Phoenix DUI Law Blog)
- More Than 4,300 AZ Drivers Arrested for DUI Over the Holidays (FindLaw's Phoenix DUI Law Blog)
- Beware Halloween DUI Checkpoints (FindLaw's Blotter)