The total number of DUI arrests in Arizona dropped for the first time in ten years.
In 2013, 29,000 DUI arrests were made. While that number is still incredibly high, it's about 3,000 less than in 2012. The Governor's Office of Highway Safety attributes the drop in DUIs to the public's understanding of the legal limits and the consequences associated with the crime, according to AZCentral.
Compared to the numbers from the past year, it appears Arizona's drivers are smartening up to the dangers of drinking and driving.
Arizona's DUI Arrest Rates Through the Years
Arizona's DUI arrests dropped significantly between 2013 and 2012. In 2012, there were a total of 29,163 DUI arrests. While the holiday season may be a festive time, many people get too festive and forget about the wisdom and consequence of DUI laws. However, there's one thing to be jolly about: 2013 saw a slight decline in the number of people arrested for DUIs during the holidays. In 2013, a little less than 4,000 people were arrested during the holiday season, while 4,371 tipsy drivers were arrested in 2012.
Perhaps one of the most commendable areas of improvement is the number of sober designated drivers that were contacted. In 2009, only 1,450 people contacted a designated driver to get them home safely. This number changed dramatically between 2009 and 2013. In 2013, more than 6,000 people contacted sober drivers, reports AZCentral.
Some things didn't change as much: the average BAC for DUI arrests is 0.151 and has remained consistent through the years.
Tips to Avoid a DUI
While there's nothing wrong with enjoying a night out, it's important to be smart when heading home. Remember to:
- Choose a designated driver, but make sure your designated driver is trustworthy and stays sober.
- Program a taxi company's number into your phone. While it may seem like a drag to pay taxi fare, it's much cheaper than getting arrested for a DUI.
- Take public transportation. Most cities in Arizona offer some kind of public transportation, particularly in the greater Phoenix area. Plan out your route and schedule before you go out in case things get fuzzy later.
Here's hoping that 2014 means more safe driving practices and less DUIs.
- DUI arrests in Arizona: Total number of DUIs in Arizona dropped in 2013(ABC-15 TV)
- Labor Day Weekend Arizona DUI Arrests Drop (FindLaw's Phoenix DUI Blog)
- 300 DUI Arrests Near ASU in 3 Weeks: How to Avoid Getting Busted (FindLaw's Phoenix DUI Blog)
- DUI Arrests (FindLaw)